Amazon Sports

Monday 6 October 2014

Roy Keane admits fight with Peter Schmeichel in new autobiography




Former Manchester United captain Roy Keane has revealed that he came to blows with goalkeeper and team-mate Peter Schmeichel on a pre-season tour.

Keane, 43, said Schmeichel was left with a black eye after the fight in Hong Kong in 1998 which followed simmering tension between the pair.

Keane said: "He said: 'I've had enough of you. It's time we sorted this out.' So I said: 'OK' and we had a fight."

The episode is recalled by Keane in his new autobiography 'The Second Half'.

Keane, now the assistant manager for Aston Villa and the Republic of Ireland, said drink had been involved in the incident with Schmeichel, who he played alongside at Old Trafford for six years.

"I woke up the next morning. I kind of vaguely remembered the fight. My hand was really sore and one of my fingers was bent backwards," Keane is reported as saying by the Daily Mirror.

Keane discusses a number of controversial topics in the book, which is published on Thursday.

They include a reference to a tackle on former Manchester City midfielder Alf-Inge Haaland in 2001, which Keane suggested in his first autobiography was to avenge an earlier incident between the pair.

The comments earned Keane a five-match ban and £150,000 fine from the FA for bringing the game into disrepute.

"There are things I regret in my life and he (Haaland) is not one of them," Keane added.

No comments:

Post a Comment