Amazon Sports

Friday 20 June 2014

World Cup 2014: Luis Suarez says Uruguay win was for the critics






Uruguay match-winner Luis Suarez says his country's 2-1 World Cup win over England brought him retribution against his critics in England. 

The Liverpool striker, 27, scored in both halves to condemn England to their second successive loss in Group D and leave them close to a World Cup exit.

"Before the game, too many people in England laughed about my attitude over the last few years," he said.

"This is a very good time for me. I want to see what they think now."

Suarez, who missed Uruguay's opening World Cup defeat by Costa Rica after a month out following knee surgery, has been subjected to heavy criticism since signing for Liverpool from Ajax in 2011.

He was banned for 10 matches after biting the arm of Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic in a Premier League match in April 2013 and was given an eight-match suspension for racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra in October 2011.

"It has been like a dream," he said. "It is something I have dreamt about very often. It was one of the best games I've played.

"It's an amazing moment for me. Maybe a few days ago I thought this wouldn't be possible."

Suarez's winning goal, a powerful strike six minutes from time after Liverpool team-mate Steven Gerrard had miscued a header, came just nine minutes after Wayne Rooney had cancelled out the Uruguayan striker's headed opener.

It took the striker's tally to five goals in seven World Cup matches.

"I had to keep calm, keep my cool and when I got the ball I just kicked it with my whole heart thinking of all those who have supported me," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment