Amazon Sports

Monday 15 September 2014

In-form Martins hopes for recall to Nigeria national team






Nigeria international and In-form Seattle Sounders striker Obafemi Martins hopes his form in Major League Soccer (MLS) will earn him a Nigeria recall.

Obafemi Martins aka Obagoal – over the weekend, scored in Sounders's 3-2 home victory over Real Salt Lake on Friday night for his 13th goal of the season, and also boasts an impressive nine assists.

"I said at the start of the season if I was doing well for Seattle and scoring goals, I'd have a chance with Nigeria," he told BBC Sport.

"But firstly, I want to play regularly here and try to help Seattle Sounders win a trophy."

However With the Super Eagles struggling for goals and results in their 2015 African Cup of Nations qualifiers, he hopes to earn a place in the squad for October’s double header against Sudan with qualification for the 2015 African Cup of Nations.

"It's the coach's decision to invite players but if I can get a recall to the national team, I'll be honoured," he added.

"I just need to continue my form here in the United States, give my all to this club and let other things happen naturally.

"I love my country and I always want Nigeria to do well with me in the squad or not.

"If I get another chance, great, and if not, I can only wish my country all the best."

Obafemi Martins aka Obagoal has played 39 games for Nigeria scoring 18 goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment