Amazon Sports

Tuesday 18 March 2014

World Cup 2014: No contact from Nigeria - Anichebe



Nigeria striker Victor Anichebe insists he has not been asked to return to the national side for the World Cup. 

The 25-year-old recently put his international career on hold to "manage his body" and to focus on his club.
Super Eagles media officer Ben Alaiya revealed coach Stephen Keshi is hoping to persuade the West Brom forward to change his mind.

But Anichebe told BBC Sport: "I haven't spoken to anybody, that goes from the federation to Stephen Keshi himself."

However, he has not ruled out a return to the fold - and he realises the tournament in Brazil may be his last chance to play at the biggest event in football.

"We will see what happens," said Anichebe, who missed out on selection for South Africa 2010. "Right now I'm playing well, feeling fit, strong and helping my team in the situation we are currently in at the moment.

"If I continue to play well from now to the end of the season then we can take it from there.

"I'm grateful that the coach says he is willing to give me a chance, but I think everybody in Nigeria and around the world knows what I can do and capable of.

"The Premier League is watched around the world so it's easy to see what qualities I can bring to the team.


"If not, there are so many other talented Nigerians around the world that would also love the opportunity to represent their country and play in such a prestigious tournament. 

"Yes the World Cup only comes once in every four years and it could be my last opportunity - this is something I'm aware of but I haven't spoken to anybody."

A former England youth international, Anichebe switched allegiance and played his first game for Nigeria in March 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment